Thursday, 8 August 2013

Night 27: 8th August 2013

Essay
David Hume. The Stoic. 'The great end of all human industry, is the attainment of happiness.' I wish all the idiot politicians would read this essay – they seem to think the great end of human industry is to increase the GDP! The thesis is basically that man is a rough diamond elevated by art, learning, and most of all by virtue.


Poem
Emily Dickinson. The Only News I Know, and Chartless. The Only News I Know is a religious poem. Very uneven, I thought, and not particularly interesting. Chartless ditto: another religious poem about knowing heaven exists even with no evidence whatsoever. 'I never saw a moor/ I never saw the sea...'


Story

Graham Greene. The Basement Room (1936). A brilliantly written story about a young boy who witnesses something no child should ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment