Monday, 5 August 2013

Night 23 report: 4th August 2013

Essay
Joseph Addison (1672-1719). The Vision of Mirza. The author says this is his translation of one of several visions he found in Cairo. The first vision is an allegory of life, death and heaven. Life is a bridge between two mists, with trapdoors (death) along it through which people fall.

Poem
Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Sonnets from the Portuguese No. 6. 'Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand/ Henceforward in thy shadow...' etc. I wasn't familiar with this sonnet, but I find it very beautiful. This woman knew how to write about love!

Short Story
Graham Greene. The Second Death (1929). A strange story about a young man on his deathbed, frightened of a dream or vision he had earlier in his life when he had been thought dead. I didn't understand the last paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment