Thursday, 25 July 2013

Night 16 report: 25th July 2013

Short Story
Saki. Fur. Suzanne's rich cousin wants to know what she wants for her birthday and while she doesn't want to be greedy, she also doesn't want to waste his immense wealth. After all, he can afford to give her a much more expensive gift than she could ever afford. She decides she wants furs. As in expensive fur coats or stoles. (I love the name of the shop: Goliath and Mastodon's!) Saki comes out with some gems, as in: 'the sacrifices of friendship were beautiful in her eyes as long as she was not asked to make them.' when Suzanne refuses her friend Eleanor's request. In return the friend sabotages Suzanne, telling the cousin she would love the think she would least like - a fan. She also spins a yarn to the cousin, and she ends up with the fur instead.

Poem
Ralph Waldo Emerson, Brahma.  I will have to do some research on this one as I'll be blowed if I know what it means. It all sounds good, but I've no idea what he's on about.

Essay
David Hume. Of Civil Liberty. The thrust of Hume's argument is that the erosion of liberty is the beginning of the end for societies. When people have liberty, the arts flourish, but when liberties decline, so do the arts and everything else that's fine and good about society. Absolute governments tend to preside over a decay in commerce as well as the arts. He thinks things have improved in the last century, and that monarchies have moved closer to perfection, and yet he also appears to be a Republican. I'm probably too tired for this essay at the moment. Maybe I should switch to reading in the morning instead of at night. This style of writing is so foreign to me, that I find it difficult to follow, especially as he goes off on tangents, and makes many references to ancient Greece and Rome. I'll read it again.

Writing
A non-fiction day, but also very busy with other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment