Wednesday, 24 July 2013

14 - Saki/Hume/Wordsworth

End of the second week, and so far so good. I've been a bit tardy on posting the details, but haven't missed a day yet (not that it matters, as there's nothing that says this has to be 1000 consecutive days, and it's just an exercise to help me get my head full of stuff so I can improve my writing). 

Poem
William Wordsworth. The World is Too Much with Us.  I can relate to this poem, which is about our disconnect with nature and are unmoved by its wonders. 'For this, for everything, we are out of tune;/ It moves us not...' I had to look up Proteus and Triton, and found they are both gods of the sea. I think what he's saying is that while we may think ourselves advanced, he would rather be a pagan who could appreciate these simple but awe-inspiring natural wonders.

Short story
Saki. The Philanthropist and the Happy Cat. What a brilliant title! And again, what great choices in names: Jocantha Bessbury and a cat called Attab! Jocantha prides herself on being one of the most contented women in Chelsea, and is pleased with herself and feels sorry for those unfortunate enough to be beneath her and her philanthropic urge is to buy a ticket for the theatre and give it away to some poor, miserable unfortunate. She sees an attractive young man in a tea shop and decides to give him the ticket and imagines future engagements with him. She fails to attract his attention and is resentful that she will be going to the theatre alone instead. Great last line - but you'll have to find the play and read it to find out what it is. I am loving Saki to bits.

Essay
David Hume again, even though his last one annoyed me somewhat. It's not surprising though really, as we're living in different worlds, three hundred years apart. Of the Origin of Government. Hume sees Government as a natural extension of the family, there to ensure justice is served and that the peace and order of society are maintained. Order in society is maintained by government and people tend naturally towards obedience to the rules laid down by governing bodies. He suggests that the first ascendence of one man over the multitudes first arose during a period of war, and the long continuance of that state meant people became used to submission. After people became used to subservience, it came to be enforced. An interesting and thoughtful essay, which I will read again as this first reading has no doubt given me just a superficial understanding of what he's saying.

Writing
I went to the writers group and read the story I wrote and revised this week. It was well received. I've been writing and editing more, but nothing to write home about. Why do we need to sleep eight hours a day? There's too much to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment