Tuesday, 23 July 2013

13 Saki/Scott/Hume

Short story
Saki: The Reticence of Lady Anne. Ok, so I'm having a Saki period. Deal with it! This is the Saki story I used for the basis of my short film, The Silent Treatment. I didn't do it very well, and had technical problems such as camera noise (it was super 8), but I'm still proud of it. My friend Betty Kavanagh played Lady Anne, and we shot the film in the house of my other friend, Doc Doyle in Newtown, Sydney, with Egbert played by a professional actor, whose name I have now forgotten -- so I should drag out the film and watch it again. Basically, the story is about an argument between a man and his wife, and in which the man loses the argument, but he fails to notice his wife has been dead for two hours.

Poem
Sir Walter Scott. Native Land.  This is an unsympathetic poem in language to us in the 21st century, but I get the overall thesis of the poem, that we all belong somewhere and going home to that place is the best feeling there is. It's hard to get the full effect of it though, since the language and sentiments have changed so much.


Essay
David Hume. The Platonist. Hume muses on the fact that we're all the same but differ so widely, and we also differ from ourselves from one time to another. He thinks our purpose in life is to contemplate God but we constantly get distracted, and basically worship ourselves instead of the Big Invisible Sky Daddy (BISD)  (not his name for it!). According to Hume, we are vile and contemptible, which I think is pretty idiotic, but I do agree with him on one thing he says, and that is that the works of art made by people are imitations of the beauty of the works of nature. He concludes that therefore there must be a BISD and anybody who doesn't feel 'the warmest raptures of worship' is stupid.

Writing
I have written a short story this week. Preparing tonight for the writers group tomorrow. I  will read my latest story plus I have some other things in hand, but that I probably won't read.

No comments:

Post a Comment