Monday, 22 July 2013

Night 12 report: July 21st 2013

Short Story
Saki: The Unkindest Blow. A story about a zoo-keepers' strike, and what happens to the animals in such a situation. And then it waffles on and I lost sight of what the hell the story was about. Maybe it's my mood at the moment (too much to do, too little time), but I'll reserve judgement, and just say that I'm going off Saki a bit with this one.

Poem
Richard Lovelace, To Lucasta, On Going to the Wars.  T'his poem is about men and wars, and how 'I could not love thee, dear, so much/ Loved I not honour more.'  Well, as a woman, I don't understand this love affair men have with wars, and why they get their rocks off on killing other people in strange lands. So this one left me cold. It scans well and all that and the rhythm is good, but it's an alien poem to me about alien ideas of men who think it's their role in life to go off to war with people they have no quarrel with, Hmm. Maybe after all, I'm in the 21st century and they were not. But then there seems to be an awful lot of people who are not in the 21st century now either.

Essay
David Hume. Of the Delicacy of Taste and Passion. The thrust of this essay is that a delicacy of taste is far superior to a delicacy of passion, and in fact the former is to be cultured and the latter to be suppressed.

Writing
I didn't mention it on the blog, but I did write a short story the other day, and I did some editing of it today and printed out the revised version. I've also been working on another short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment