Monday, 22 July 2013

Night 10 Report: 19th July 2013

A very busy day, and the last few days have been hectic. I managed to do some reading but am behind in posting.

Poem
Invictus, by William Ernest Henley. His soul is unconquerable, he's unbowed and unafraid, he's the master of his fate and captain of his soul. In Australia we have a phrase for this, and that is he's totally 'up himself'. Only a man could write this, and sorry to be so sexist, but I think it's true that women harbour so much internalised oppression that most would find it difficult to attach such positive images to ourselves. Henley has no problems of that nature. He's the captain of his soul and unconquerable, and good for him.

Short Story
Saki (1870-1916). The Romancers.  I read Saki's stories years ago, and so I'm revisiting them. I was so impressed by one of them that I turned it into a short film, back in the days when Super 8 was the thing. Actually, I think Super 8 is still the thing - it's much better than crappy digital video. This little story is about a meeting in London with a person who claims he's from Afghanistan. It's weird, and I'm not sure I know what it means, but it's a good vignette and character sketch.

Essay
David Hume (1711-1776). Of Essay Writing. I found a book of Hume's essays in the library and so decided to check it out. This essay is about the 'elegant part of mankind, who are not immersed in mere animal life.' It's an interesting essay, with a digression on what would later be called feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment